I have been hearing a lot about yum cha. Never tried it but I am positive it would be just my thing.
So, to try and imagine what it must be like, I gave some steamed dumplings a try yesterday.
They were absolutely delicious, and surprisingly quick to make. The most time consuming part was folding the dumplings, but I’m pretty sure that was the million times I got interrupted by one or more children!
Ingredients (I had. 30 pack of wrappers from the supermarket, but you can easily make your own)
Chicken mince 200 gram
2 spring onions
Knob of ginger
1. Chop cabbage into chunks. Finely shred or pulse in thermomix.
Put to the side in a bowl, with a sprinkle of salt, let it sit.
2. Add spring onion and ginger to bowl. Chop, 2 sec speed 6.
3. Add sesame oil to bowl, sauté onion and ginger 2 min, speed 1 temp varoma. Give the bottom a scrape.
4. Add remainder of ingredients to bowl, I cook by taste so I probably put around a tablespoon of each sauce ingredient.
5. Using your hands, squeeze out the excess water from your cabbage and add it to the thermomix bowl.
6. Mix all ingredients for 20 sec speed 2. Give it a scrape and mix a little more if not fully combined.
7. I then put a piece of baking paper on my chopping board. I laid about 6 wrappers, dipped my finger in a cup of water and wet each wrap. I the used a spoon to put a small amount of filling in each dumpling. I would say less than a tablespoon as if they are too full they are hard to wrap.
8. I then folded each wrap in half and pinched the sides together. There is no real method to this, just feel it as you go. Basically make sure the sides are all joined. Line your varoma trays with baking paper and place dumplings on2 layers
9. Steam dumplings for approx 12 minutes. This will depend how full your parcels are. I used 500gms waters, preheated to varoma temp. The cook, 12 min, speed 3, varoma temp.
Your serving choices are many. Scoff into the with some soy sauce for dipping, or use them in a soup. You could also fry them too for a crispy morsel.
Let me know what you think